Notary information and help desk
Contact Nicole Andries
2. Send a copy of your completed application to us. If you are paying by check mail payment with your application to David Chapman Agency at P.O. Box 30109, Lansing, MI 48909-7609. If you are an existing customer with pre-approved account, or if you wish to pay by credit card, you can email or fax the application to our notary help desk.
3. The cost is $50 for the $10,000 bond and we include $10,000 of errors and omissions insurance. If you are paying by Visa or Mastercard, call our notary help desk with your card information. When we receive your application and payment we will prepare the bond and email or mail it to you.
4. In additon to the bond cost the State of Michigan and your county clerk each require a $10 fee that you will need to pay when you deliver your forms to them.
5. When you receive the bond from us take it along with the completed unsigned application and the $10 filing fee to your county clerk office. This will be the county in which you reside. You have only 90 days from issuance of the bond to complete steps 5 and 6. They will review your application and at that time you will put your signature on both the application and bond. The clerk will administer an oath of office and complete the designated areas on the application and bond. They will return the application to you, but the county clerk will retain your bond in their office.
6. You must then mail the completed and executed application along with the $10 State filing fee to the Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Blvd., Lansing, MI 48918-1750. Or, you can take it in person to their office at 430 Allegan Street Lansing, MI 48933.
7. The State of Michigan will mail your notary commission certificate directly to your home address you put on the application. Your commission is not valid and you may not notarize documents until you receive your certification of commission in the mail.
8. Your commission and bond are issued for a period of six years and will expire on your birthday in six years. Depending on when you apply you may get close to seven years.
9. If you change your address or name during your commission, you must complete a Duplicate/Notice of Change form. When completed mail it to the address shown on the form. There is no additional charge for making these changes. Once you have changed your name by filing the required form, you may then use your new name to notarize documents.
10. If you lose your commission certificate, you must file a Duplicate/Notice of Change form and a $10 fee with the State of Michigan Office of the Great Seal to obtain a duplicate
If you would like a stamp or seal to use on the documents you notarize, we recommond Foresight Supersign. You can shop on line by clicking Foresight Supersign or call them at 1-800-328-1988.
1.Obtain and complete a notary application from the State of Michigan by clicking on the button below. Please make sure that you print your name at the bottom of the application exactly as you wish to be commissioned and exactly how you will sign your name as a notary public. When completed print the application, but do NOT sign the application at this time. You will sign all items in front of your county clerk when you take your application and bond to them.
Becoming a Notary Public is easy when you follow the steps listed below. If you have questions or need assistance along the way contact our notary help desk.